Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This Lullaby By: Sarah Dessen

"This lullaby," Dexter sang, "is only a few words . . ."
Oh, my God, I thought.
"A simple run of chords . . ."
I felt a drop in my stomach: he knew how I felt about this. He knew. And still, he kept singing.
"Quite here in this spare room, but you can hear it, hear it . . ."
The crowd was loving it, cheering, some girls along the back row singing along, hands on their hearts, like washed-up divas on the Labor Day telethon.
I looked over at the bar, where Chloe was staring at me, but she didn't have a smug look, instead something even worse. It might have been pity, but I turned my head away before I could know for sure.

This Lullaby
pg. 209

This Lullaby Pictures, Images and Photos


This Lullaby is the story of a teenage girl, Remy, that has just graduated from high school and has made it a goal of her's to make this the most memorable summer before she heads off to college. She thought her summer would only consist of numerous Zip Cokes, and late nights at Bendo and The Spot, but when out of thin air a guy comes crashing into Remy's life...literally, her summer plans change. Not only does Remy have to juggle this new, dorky, muscian, Dexter, that she can't seem to get rid of, but also her mother's new and fifth husband and her older brother, Chris, and his over-controlling new girlfriend. Since, Remy's mother has had a different outlook on love and how to handle it, Remy has adopted that outlook as well. In her mind, love can be figured out by simple math and the calculating of some numbers. She has rules setup for her relationships, but when she can't seem to dump Dexter, she can't figure out why.

This Lullaby was a wonderful book and a serious page-turner. I grew attached to the characters, expecially Dexter's band, Truth Squad, the characters have their serious and heartfelt moments and then they have their hilarious moments that make you laugh out loud. Sarah Dessen displayed the care-free and spontaneous personalities of the young men very well. She expressed the reality of life, no matter how much it's hurts, in the pages of this book. Remy and Dexter's relationship was decribed beautifully and realistically. Dexter, in my opinion, was one of the best characters in the book. He is hilarious, confident, witty, caring, and cute in that dorky kind of way. I highly recommend this book to anyone, but expecially teenage girls and young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment